The Daily Crossword
- Competitive analysis with other games to ensure a full set of features.
- Comparison to previous version of game to ensure smooth transition.
- Flexible input methods to ensure any user would be comfortable.
- Taking into account user feedback on previous versions, usability of competing apps, natural typing styles, and usability of previous version.
- Default input methods based on previous version.
- Keyboard controls make inputting answers "as simple as typing in a word-processor". The goal being that users shouldn't have to think about how to input their answer as that isn't what a crossword puzzle is about.
- Deciding what happens when a user hits ENTER, BACKSPACE or reaches the end of a word are all new things considered for this app.
- Responsive layouts for mobile web to compete with popular competing apps.
- Maximize screenspace on tablet and phone.
- Recognize that tablet and phone have separate usability needs.
- Custom keyboard input maximizes screen space for the game by dropping un-needed buttons (i.e. punctuation) and adding desired buttons such as "change direction" and "next clue".
- This aligns with almost every other competing app on iOS an Android
Play The Daily Mini Crossword on the LA Times site. Works on desktop and mobile.